Transforming research with a new high-bay lab
Christner worked with the university to renovate and expand the Butler-Carlton Civil Engineering Building, originally constructed in 1959, which houses the Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering Departments. The 16,200 square-foot project includes the expansion of a state-of-the-art laboratory that increases research laboratory space, allowing faculty and students to engage in new research that is critical to the ever-changing infrastructure needs. The project also includes the addition of collaboration areas, such as a conference room.
Located at one of the main entries to campus, the new addition puts concrete research on display. Strategic placement of large windows makes the batch plant highly visible to students and campus visitors. The architecture of the building integrates patented concrete technologies developed at the University and highlight emerging innovations. The addition and renovation also utilizes the opportunity to consolidate existing teaching and research functions that are currently spread over multiple buildings around campus.
Research performed in the new laboratory enables the development, manufacturing, and implementation of innovative and sustainable materials for civil infrastructure, with an emphasis on cement-based materials.