Enhancing artist and audience experience with historic renovation and expansion
Christner is honored to be a part of an incredible team to deliver the $100 million modernization and expansion of St. Louis Symphony Orchestra’s Historic Powell Hall. This is the first major renovation project at the historic Grand Center building since it became the SLSO’s permanent home in 1968.
The renovation and 65,000-square-foot expansion will transform the historic 1925 building into a modern venue that enhances the audience and artist experience and fosters community connections. A new state-of-the-art music center, 3,400-square-foot education and learning center, lobby, and backstage space with expanded amenities are included in the expansion. The renovation will improve safety, accessibility and comfort while preserving Powell Hall’s historic character.
Est. Completion 2025
Through the renovation and expansion of Powell Hall, the SLSO will:
- Create an inviting and welcoming destination for performance, learning, and events
- Transform its concert venue into a vital center for music, focused on learning and appreciation
- Enhance the unique experience of live musical performances
- Broaden and deepen its community impact
- Build institutional strength through new sources of support for its core mission